This is the tenth post in the series Meta. Start reading at the beginning, Meta 10.
- Videos in posts can now be “gif-ish”, or muted and autoplaying. You can see an example of this on Micro 28.
- Videos use
IntersectionObserver to start and stop playing automatically.
- You can click on a video to pause it and display your browser’s standard video controls (and suppresses further autoplay from scrolling.)
- Videos were previously always scaled to 720p. They can now be sized according to the layout rules. Again, see Micro 28 where the video is scaled to the width of the main content guide.
- The external link icon has changed, again. I got tired of how it used its own weird arrow (↪︎). It’s now , an icon from Feather, delivered via a custom font packaged with IcoMoon and compressed with woff-compress.
- The server now specifies
Cross-Origin-Resource-Policy: same-origin, just as an extra layer of security and privacy, ensuring subresources are never loaded from another service.
- A couple of improvements to the accessibility pass that runs after the site is generated:
- Warnings are correctly emitted when text alternatives are present, but empty.
- Warnings are also emitted when the same text alternative appears twice on the same page, since that’s likely to be a copy-paste error.