This is the ninth post in the series Meta. Start reading at the beginning, Meta 9.
- Posts now can have hidden content.
- Mostly I want to use this for spoilers. But I also wanted a system that could be used for things that need content warnings.
- I tried to make spoilers fail safe in a bunch of different ways.
- Because feed reader support for styled and interactive content is all over the place, hidden content is omitted from the feed.
- The spoiler is hidden if the main stylesheet fails to load for some reason.
- The icon that appears when a link goes to another site like this is now ↪︎RIGHTWARDS ARROW WITH HOOK (U+21AA) instead of ⎆ENTER SYMBOL [U+2386]. The latter isn’t widely available in some platform’s default fonts. Whoops.
- iOS pretty aggressively tried to render that as the emoji glyph ↪️. They’re the same codepoint, so I had to use the Variant Selector 15 (U+FE0E) to force the text style glyph.
- Likewise, to force the emoji in the previous point, there’s Variant Selector 16 (U+FE0F). None of this is really behaving incorrectly, it’s just one of those weird parts of how emoji work and I wanted to share.