- The video pipeline has gotten several neat features.
- Videos can fade in and fade out, via ffmpeg’s
- The keyframe interval is now calculated from the video’s frame rate. I’m not really sure what I’m doing here, but to make it easier to scrub short videos I’m encoding at least 15 keyframes for short videos, or one keyframe every 2 seconds for longer videos. This will probably change as I publish more videos to the site.
- Video is scaled down to 720p. I’m thinking of maybe adding a quality selector, but for now I don’t think it makes sense to expect everyone to want 1080p60 video.
- Text tracks can be tagged with other languages.
- You can see these on the new post, Lumines Remastered Notes.
- Fixed an issue where more than one sidenote would cause the numbering to get out of sync.
These sorts of changes are about how Diplograph is built behind the scenes, and won’t really be noticed on the site itself.
- To speed up writing, video is encoded with the
ultrafast preset for draft posts. Published posts still use
veryslow for the better compression.
Wow video takes so much time. I do want to include more video content, but it took me a month (modulo some time away) to write that Lumines post. (This does include the pipeline changes above, but it’s still not a sustainable amount of work.)