This is the third post in the series Meta. Start reading at the beginning, Meta 1.
- Added a smart quotes postprocessing pass, so most text now has pretty “curly quotes.”
- The algorithm is heavily based on David Dunham’s Smart Quotes algorithm.
- The implementation traverses the DOM as necessary so that it does the right thing across nodes. For example
"<strong>test</strong>" is formatted as “test”.
- The contents of some elements are ignored, including
- Links to external sites are now marked with their domain name, like this.
- A couple of small simplification rules are sometimes applied to the domains. For example,
www. subdomains are omitted.
- Non-HTTPS links are specifically called out, like this.
- Many links to external projects on the about page have been updated to point to HTTPS endpoints.
- Fixed a couple of issues with the labels on the archive page map.
- Locations with more than one word (like “Los Angeles”) no longer wrap to multiple lines, poorly.
- Locations in the eastern hemisphere now have their labels to the left of the pin, so they should no longer appear outside the viewport when located near the edge of the page (“New Zealand” in particular).