All archives require maintenance, but because Digital Objects Degrade Faster Than Physical Objects, digital archives especially require maintenance, even if no new items are being added to the archive.
- Maintain hardware, migrating when necessary
- Ensure backups are functional
- Migrate files to new file formats when needed
- Review current practices as technology changes. Assumptions and predictions made years ago (“such-and-such will be a stable format”) may not turn out to be true.
- Edward M. Corrado and Heather Moulaison Sandy. Digital Preservation for Libraries, Archives, & Museums. 2017.